Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hurrican Sandy hits New York ~ Knitting by Candlelight



With the recent storm , Sandy, the first night I knitted for 2 hours and achieved about 3/4 of an inch. In had chosen a pattern that I never would have on a normal day..it was a super-complicated cable pattern(for me, that is!), a dark colored yarn, using smallish needles than I usually use for a hat! I was thinking as I soldiered on , stitch by stitch,  "I am sure I'm not the only one who is knitting by candlelight".I was squinting - The power was out in my neck of the woods for about a week.First, I knitted to keep my brain thinking about something other than the constant howl of the wind. All through the storm and in the the aftermath I reached for my knitting . Once again, having something to puzzle over and keep my mind and my hands occupied kept me relatively calm, once again, in a disaster. The hat..the humble little cotton and cashmere textured bit of knitting will remind me, whenever I see it, of that first night, always.

No comments: