Mini Swatch Memory Scarf


I’ve been saving these mini swatches for all of the years that i’ve been dyeing up yarn, which at the end of this month ( memorial day) will be at 9 years. Since we moved recently, I’ve lost track of at least some of the treasure trove of swatches that are over 5 years old, i know they are in a box somewhere in storage. I decided to make a gradient of them on Mothers Day, just to see a kind of ‘mind map’ of which colors are dominant in my ‘dyeing mind’, kind of a mirror, if you will. And then that grew into the idea of knitting these into a stripey scarf. 
I looked for a textured stitch that would also handle different yarn thicknesses, and finally landed on JUTE STITCH ( row 1: knit, row 2:k2tog all across, row3:knit1 front and back all across, row 4: purl across) The stitch creates a ridge every 4 rows, and the increases create a bumpy- loftiness.
I just love how this is looking! ( and feeling) The scarf ( or infinity cowl more likely) is lofty, and is ‘equalizing’ the yarn differences and textures. Because I am using sw and non-sw yarns, some are softer than others, some are thicker or finer than others...for instance the bits of kid mohair/silk lace weight, and a small amount of cashmere and other precious fibers. 
 The stitch resembles crochet, but doesn’t have the heavy density that crochet can sometimes have.
Overall, i have enough swatchlets for about 30-34 inches until i run out..I am thinking that i will start using 10gram mini-skeins after that, which seems like cheating, to be honest! 
Because i started this project on Mothers Day, and my mom was so much a part of why i love knitting, this project is resonating with me as a connection with her. Having passed when i was 21, my knitting and dyeing activities are about my love of yarn and fiber, but also about that emotional connection i had with her. Mom was an avid knitter, gardener, and cook. She looked forward to every Elizabeth Zimmerman newsletter ( on real paper! In the mailbox!) and knitted many sweaters from those wonderful patterns. She did teach me to knit, but i wasn’t really ‘into’ it until many years later. I did complete a sweater using a soft, blue and cream marled wool, which i wore until i grew out of it. 
I feel that this will be a project that i finish, because not only is it ‘interesting’, as i am unraveling each swatch as i knit, so its like unraveling a diary. For me, watching a gradient emerge, is totally exciting..at least thats my excuse for picking up this NEW project while i let the other ones languish!
NOTE: if you are interested in following my progress, i will be posting links to Ravelry and pattern notes as it evolves...hey, maybe even a KAL! 

Comments

Popular Posts